April 2, 2007

a ticket to the wimbledon open




For 4 years now, I’ve been pretending to be so focused, and the people around me thought so. They just don’t know that within, I am so messed up. I hope I haven’t kissed drinking goodbye, it could’ve then be easier for me to anesthetize myself and gain momentary tranquility every time anxiety attacks. If only somebody had forewarn me that sobriety could be so boring but its too late, cause I already detest the taste of beer, and I don’t really go for hard drinks—it’s like gulping rubbing alcohol.

While stuck in the midst of oblivion, my mom keeps on insinuating me to join the fad everyone is crazy about…. NURSING. Initially, I didn’t entertain the thought. I’m not stupid to put all my hard work studying pharmaceutical subjects, memorizing the chemical structures and names, not to mention the mind-draining thesis and having to deal with rabbits, mice, guinea pigs as test animals, which by the way I hate to even touch. It’s hard to put my hard earned degree backstage just to make way for a nursing career and I have my pride as a pharmacist though. So it’s definitely a NO!

As each day passes, I’ve become so unsatisfied with my life, so unfulfilled, at some point I felt useless…. A total loser. I was talking to Mai—architecture graduate (childhood buddy/tennis partner & mentor) one day, when we realized that there are a lot of things that we wanted to do. She wants to go to Greece and experience the romance that Lena (Alexis Bledel; in the movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants) had, and of course I want to be there to witness all that. We want to swim the beaches of Bali, go Caribbean Cruising, enjoy a white Christmas, have a taste of the different cuisines around the globe, go to Europe, shop till we drop, own a yacht, spend nights in the most expensive accommodation of the only 7 star hotel in the world- Burj Al Arab in Dubai, and top of it all, we want to watch live championship matches at the Centre Court during Wimbledon Open. Our list goes on and on and on, but nevertheless, it’s all about having a secure future… a very secure one indeed.

We know we can’t have all that if we’ll pursue our careers here in our country. Not unless we get to marry “Mr. Deeds” who can finance on everything we want. So I guess that leaves “nursing” as our only options to do all that. And finally after thinking about it for the nth time…whole-heartedly with fingers crossed, we decided to join the fad.

written by: chen ong

and at the end of this journey, my wonderful story begins...

No comments: